Thursday, May 22, 2008

Creative burst

Lately I've found myself perusing the art supply stores, and collecting masses of colorful glass beads. After I open a jar of spaghetti sauce, I wash it and put it aside, hoping to use it for something....someday.

I have this overwhelming desire to create. Paint, draw, sew (sigh, yes sew) make candles, embroider, make some jewelry, you name it!

Girl Scouts was a huge part of my life from Kindergarten to sixth grade. Within the houses of well-meaning mothers of school-mates, I learned how to embroider, sew pillows, make pudding, (ah... instant pudding...the things I remember)etc. As I grew older and entered puberty, I decided that I did NOT want to be Suzy Homemaker. I was ABOVE those sort of things, I didn't want to sit around and sew and be a mother, NO WAY. That stuff was BEYOND me. Pishah! Boring! I was trying to find out who I was and started to rebel against the things I used to think were kind of cool, and that included Girl Scouts.

Then I think of my mother, and all those Halloween costumes that she made me when I was a kid, and most recently Willie's Ewok costume. I mean, that was a kick - ass costume, for sure!



I began to realize how important those things meant to me as a wide eyed innocent. I loved going to the fabric store with my mother, picking out a pattern and watching as she worked her magic on her Kenmore 1960's AWESOME SEA GREEN machine. You know the kind with the pedal? She still has that thing by the way....(and it still friggin works)

I'm off and running! I've spent the last 5 hours making some really cool jewelry, although the pictures that I took really didn't come out great. (Aha! Photography! Now that is something I'd like to master! Adding to list....)



2 comments:

Stew said...

The jewelry is really cool. I've been doing some hemp braiding too... I'm kinda in that hippy creative phase too... maybe there's something in the air...

Marianne said...

I'd like to try hemp braiding...